From: Jeff Rollin <jeff.rollin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo healthy?
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 17:11:00
1 On 21/12/06, Nelson, David (ED, PAR&D) <David.Nelson2@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > > > All things considered, Mandrake is easier to install than
4 > > windoze any
5 > > > day. You think about it, you set up the drives, select ALL
6 > > the software
7 > > > you can fit and hit the install button. How easy is that? You only
8 > > > have to reboot once too. I counted six reboots the last time I
9 > > > installed XP for somebody. It took longer too. Then you
10 > > get to install
11 > > > the software you had to buy, including anti-virus, adware
12 > > protection,
13 > > > trojan watchers and all that.
14 > > >
15 > > > Yea, I pick Linux.
16
17 > Credit where credit is due, Windows XP improves over Windows 98 in that it doesnt dump you at a plan desktop with no drivers installed. They are making progress, and soon Windows may actually be ready for the desktop ;)
18 >
19 > David
20 >
21 Call me just-an-MS-hating-Grinch if you want to, but the thing I find
22 most frustrating about MS Windows is that for every advance they make
23 in one area, they take a step backwards in another! Yes, XP does come
24 with drivers, and does include a fire-and-forget installation option
25 for those that want it - but it also loses lots of drivers - i
26 remember having to get on the net on another machine because xp didn't
27 include a driver for a serially-attached external modem. Bah! Not to
28 mention that instead of hiding an "advanced" installation option which
29 lets you install on whichever drive you like, with whatever software
30 options you like, behind some sort of "curtain" - maybe, umm, I dunno,
31 a button marked "advanced installation"? - it instead /completely
32 removes the possibility of doing an advanced installation at all!
33
34 Poo!
35
36 Jeff