From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reconstructing a Gentoo Installer Computer
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 14:48:22
1 On Wed, 31 May 2006 09:53:05 -0400, Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
2
3 > I am rapidly getting the idea that either leaving the system alone, or
4 > just wiping it out and starting over is going to be preferable to trying
5 > to repair this one, since no one can seem to tell me if it can be done.
6 > My original thought was to simply change the use flags to those that I
7 > wanted, and emerge -e world, apparently, this is not correct?
8
9 Re-emerging everything is unnecessary, especially if you are only
10 changing a few flags.
11
12 emerge -uavDN world
13
14 will re-emerge everything affected by your changed flags, and allow you
15 to see what it is going to do before it starts. If you have any doubt as
16 to what an emerge will do, run it with --verbose and either --pretend or
17 --ask first.
18
19 > As far as portage documentation, I have not been able to find a wiki
20 > article or other document that indicates how to change from a system
21 > created by the installer disk to one that is personally optimized.
22
23 Therein lies one of the problems with the installer. The manual
24 installation requires you to gain some understanding of how Gentoo works
25 in order to build a system. That understanding is also needed to
26 administer the system. By using the installer, you bypass the initial
27 learning curve which, paradoxically, can make things more difficult in
28 the long run.
29
30 I am going to suggest a course of action that I normally find totally
31 pointless, re-install. If you build your system again without the
32 installer, you will be able to configure it to suit your needs from
33 scratch, and you will have a greater understanding of the system, making
34 it easier to maintain.
38 Neil Bothwick
39
40 "Bother," said Pooh, as the Death Star exploded around him.