From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SD memory card not erasing, even with dd.
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 14:57:19
1 <SNIP>
4 > So while rare, it's not just me. ;-) I've had cards fail by just plain
5 > refusing not to mount at all, mounting read only and such. I've never
6 > had one to fail like this tho. I guess if this was some sort of
7 > sensitive files, I'd have to put it in a shredder or take a pair of
8 > scissors to it. LOL
9 >
10 > I ordered 6 new cards as replacements. They came in yesterday. Like I
11 > said, I wouldn't trust that card even if it started working again. So,
12 > off to the trash the weird card goes. Now I just have to wonder why dd
13 > and such didn't report problems. :/
14 >
15 > Thanks to all for the info. Interesting.
16 >
17 > Dale
18 >
19 > :-) :-)
22 Actually, it's possible that it failed this way by design. What if the
23 card recognized that it's in some sort of a wear out condition and
24 just shut off new writes? One might see it as a failure but a
25 different view is as a potential opportunity to retrieve data before
26 it's gone.
27
28 You might want to check out this tool:
29
30 https://github.com/BertoldVdb/sdtool
31
32 which advertises that it can view, set and reset the write protection
33 status of an SD card. Can't hurt if you're committed to throwing the
34 device in the trash can anyway. (Well, it could possibly hose your
35 system if you use it incorrectly or if it has bugs, but that's true
36 about all software, right?) ;-)
37
38 But at least you could view the status of the card.
39
40 Cheers,
41 Mark