From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SD memory card not erasing, even with dd.
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 17:13:59
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > <SNIP>
3 >>
4 >> So while rare, it's not just me. ;-) I've had cards fail by just plain
5 >> refusing not to mount at all, mounting read only and such. I've never
6 >> had one to fail like this tho. I guess if this was some sort of
7 >> sensitive files, I'd have to put it in a shredder or take a pair of
8 >> scissors to it. LOL
9 >>
10 >> I ordered 6 new cards as replacements. They came in yesterday. Like I
11 >> said, I wouldn't trust that card even if it started working again. So,
12 >> off to the trash the weird card goes. Now I just have to wonder why dd
13 >> and such didn't report problems. :/
14 >>
15 >> Thanks to all for the info. Interesting.
16 >>
17 >> Dale
18 >>
19 >> :-) :-)
20 >>
21 > Actually, it's possible that it failed this way by design. What if the
22 > card recognized that it's in some sort of a wear out condition and
23 > just shut off new writes? One might see it as a failure but a
24 > different view is as a potential opportunity to retrieve data before
25 > it's gone.
26 >
27 > You might want to check out this tool:
28 >
29 > https://github.com/BertoldVdb/sdtool
30 >
31 > which advertises that it can view, set and reset the write protection
32 > status of an SD card. Can't hurt if you're committed to throwing the
33 > device in the trash can anyway. (Well, it could possibly hose your
34 > system if you use it incorrectly or if it has bugs, but that's true
35 > about all software, right?) ;-)
36 >
37 > But at least you could view the status of the card.
38 >
39 > Cheers,
40 > Mark
45 I downloaded sdtool but I don't have the required devices in /dev to use
46 it.  In the readme it says not to use /dev/sd* but to use /dev/mmcblk*.
47 It seems my card reader doesn't connect in a way for those to be
48 created.  Would have been nice just to see what it does tho.  I still
49 wouldn't trust it of course but being curious . . . .
50
51 By the way, the card is a Sandisk which has a fairly good reputation.
52 It is possible that it failed in the best way it could.  On the positive
53 side, it did fail in a way that the files could be recovered.  That's
54 always a good thing.  It's certainly better than failing with no way to
55 get the files.
56
57 Dale
58