From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kde 3.5 packages blocking each other
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 23:54:48
1 Thanks a lot!
2
3 Francisco
4
5 On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 5:58 PM, Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>wrote:
6
7 > Am Freitag 12 Juni 2009 22:45:49 schrieb Francisco Ares:
8 >
9 > > And how do I tell if an ebuild is monolithic or not?
10 >
11 > The monolithic ones install larger parts of KDE, and usually have the same
12 > names as the original source packages offered at KDE.org.
13 >
14 > The split ebuilds, well, split those packages into their individual
15 > applications, so you have ebuilds for konqueror (which is also part of
16 > kdenetwork) or kmail (kdepim). In addition, there are the "-meta" ebuilds,
17 > which have the same name as the monolitic ones, but with -meta appended
18 > (kdepim-meta). Those usually install the same applications than monolithic
19 > ebuilds, but as split ebuilds.
20 >
21 > So, when you install kde, you get a complete KDE from monolithic ebuilds
22 > and
23 > when you install kde-meta, you get a complete KDE from split ebuilds.
24 >
25 > That's also the reason why they block each other. When you have kdepim
26 > installed, you already got kmail, so you shouldn't install kmail from the
27 > split ebuild again.
28 >
29 > HTH...
30 >
31 > Dirk
38 "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you
39 and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one
40 idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." -
41 George Bernard Shaw