From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Seamonkey and LastPass
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 02:02:02
1 chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
2 > On Saturday 28 November 2009 00:43:48 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
5 >>
6 >>> On Friday 27 November 2009 22:17:15 Dale wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> If I have a
9 >>>> system meltdown and lose my password info stored locally, I can get them
10 >>>> back since they are stored on the lostpass server. According to the
11 >>>> site, lostpass can not see or even access any password even if I ask for
12 >>>> them too.
13 >>>>
14 >>> And if you believe that, I have a nice bridge for sale you might be
15 >>> interested in ...
16 >>>
17 >> That is what is on the website. It's not me saying that. Thing is,
18 >> there are people in the review section that have done this and they say
19 >> it works well.
20 >>
21 >> I may try this but only none financial things at first.
22 >>
23 > Of course it works well - you INSERT a password into a database and SELECT it
24 > out later when you need it. I'd be surprised if it didn't work.
25 >
26 > What I find incredible is that people will accept the site's say-so that the
27 > site admins can't read the data. They have not proven anything, merely
28 > asserted something.
29 >
30 > The only way to do give that guarantee is to encrypt the data. Which then
31 > needs a key. Someone must keep the key and it's either you or them. If it's
32 > them, they can decrypt the data (same reason as DRM is doomed to failure) and
33 > if it's you - well if you lose the key you lose the data.
34 >
35 > Are you telling me that there are people gullible enough to actaully fall for
36 > that one?
40 From what I understand, it is encrypted before you send the password.
41 According to them, they only have info that is encrypted. I haven't
42 visited them to make sure tho. According to the site, if you forget the
43 master password, you're toast. It is not recoverable by the user or by
44 them.
45
46 It is also on the site somewhere that the Mozilla people have checked
47 into SOME of the code. This is some of the reviews about it:
48
49 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/reviews/display/8542
50
51 Dale