From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Seamonkey and LastPass
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 22:59:38
1 On Saturday 28 November 2009 00:43:48 Dale wrote:
2 > chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
3 > > On Friday 27 November 2009 22:17:15 Dale wrote:
4 > >> If I have a
5 > >> system meltdown and lose my password info stored locally, I can get them
6 > >> back since they are stored on the lostpass server. According to the
7 > >> site, lostpass can not see or even access any password even if I ask for
8 > >> them too.
9 > >
10 > > And if you believe that, I have a nice bridge for sale you might be
11 > > interested in ...
12 >
13 > That is what is on the website. It's not me saying that. Thing is,
14 > there are people in the review section that have done this and they say
15 > it works well.
16 >
17 > I may try this but only none financial things at first.
18
19 Of course it works well - you INSERT a password into a database and SELECT it
20 out later when you need it. I'd be surprised if it didn't work.
21
22 What I find incredible is that people will accept the site's say-so that the
23 site admins can't read the data. They have not proven anything, merely
24 asserted something.
25
26 The only way to do give that guarantee is to encrypt the data. Which then
27 needs a key. Someone must keep the key and it's either you or them. If it's
28 them, they can decrypt the data (same reason as DRM is doomed to failure) and
29 if it's you - well if you lose the key you lose the data.
30
31 Are you telling me that there are people gullible enough to actaully fall for
32 that one?
37 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com