From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Seamonkey and LastPass
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 04:13:06
1 On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 00:57:54 +0200
2 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 [about LastPass]
5 > What I find incredible is that people will accept the site's say-so
6 > that the site admins can't read the data. They have not proven
7 > anything, merely asserted something.
8 >
9 > The only way to do give that guarantee is to encrypt the data. Which
10 > then needs a key. Someone must keep the key and it's either you or
11 > them. If it's them, they can decrypt the data (same reason as DRM is
12 > doomed to failure) and if it's you - well if you lose the key you
13 > lose the data.
14 >
15 > Are you telling me that there are people gullible enough to actaully
16 > fall for that one?
17
18 They claim that the decrypted data never leaves your computer and they
19 they don't have a key to it. Many, many things aren't clear, such as
20 what kind of encryption is used (same as the US gov't uses for "Top
21 Secret" stuff, they say, heh), where and how the key is stored on your
22 machine, on and on. I wouldn't dream of using them, but yeah, they have
23 a substantial number of users.
26 »Q«
27 Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.