From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Memory manager
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 15:03:53
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday, 20 October 2019 12:59:03 BST Wols Lists wrote:
3 >
4 >> Well, I do all my emerges on tmpfs, so if things like LO, firefox et al
5 >> need maybe 10GB, I need at least that available ... (that said, 16GB ram
6 >> could probably do it without needing swap :-)
7 > Anecdotal evidence suggests 16G RAM may not be enough:
8 >
9 > A number of times I was emerging chromium with USE="jumbo-build" enabled on a
10 > PC with 16G RAM, while a user was running Kmail, firefox and some other apps.
11 > FF in particular is a hog, as it pre-emptively allocates more RAM as you keep
12 > opening more tabs. With 15-20 FF tabs open and MAKEOPTS="-j5", all RAM was
13 > exhausted and swap started being used heavily by portage, thrashing the disk
14 > as jobs were being swapped I/O. With no swap the emerge would have been
15 > killed with an OOM.
18 >> But seeing as I try to fill up my mobo ram, my disks are mirrored, and I
19 >> still try and stick to the "twice ram" rule, this setup means any
20 >> upgrades/changes to the computer means I don't break that rule. If it's
21 >> overkill, well disk is cheap (and I can always nick a swap partition and
22 >> repurpose it temporarily if needs be :-)
23 >>
24 >> Cheers,
25 >> Wol
26 > Quite, disks are cheap and having more swap won't break the bank. On PCs with
27 > limited RAM I often end up adding more swap space and reducing job counts to
28 > get big emerges through.
32 This is some things I've noticed.  I have swap but set it to not be used
33 unless something bad happens.  I think swappiness is set to like 10 or
34 20.  It's rare that any swap is ever used.  When it does, it is usually
35 some tab in Firefox that has went wild eating up memory.  Here's the
36 thing about using swap on my rig, once it does, the system gets
37 extremely slow.  Even switching desktops can take a minute or longer.
38 Other than trying to get to what is eating up memory and killing it, the
39 system is virtually useless.  Even my video stops playing.
40
41 For me and my experience, I only want swap available to prevent the
42 system from crashing and resetting itself.  It gives me a little time to
43 kill the memory hog and not have a crash.  Other than that, I don't want
44 swap used because it is just to slow.  I have 32GBs so it's rare that I
45 run out anymore.  When I had 16GBs tho, Firefox was a regular abuser.
46 Seamonkey never runs wild exactly but sometimes I close and restart it
47 to force it to release memory.  What I wish, Firefox and even Seamonkey
48 would stop running wild with memory.  Sometimes it gets really hungry
49 and takes up several GBs when there is no reason to do so.
50
51 Like with Mick tho, 16GBs got to where it wasn't enough.  I had to close
52 web browsers during large compiles.  LOo, Firefox, Seamonkey etc etc.  I
53 have emerge's work directory on tmpfs here.
54
55 That's my experience with swap, real world.
56
57 Dale
58