From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Memory manager
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 12:15:49
1 On Sunday, 20 October 2019 12:59:03 BST Wols Lists wrote:
2
3 > Well, I do all my emerges on tmpfs, so if things like LO, firefox et al
4 > need maybe 10GB, I need at least that available ... (that said, 16GB ram
5 > could probably do it without needing swap :-)
6
7 Anecdotal evidence suggests 16G RAM may not be enough:
8
9 A number of times I was emerging chromium with USE="jumbo-build" enabled on a
10 PC with 16G RAM, while a user was running Kmail, firefox and some other apps.
11 FF in particular is a hog, as it pre-emptively allocates more RAM as you keep
12 opening more tabs. With 15-20 FF tabs open and MAKEOPTS="-j5", all RAM was
13 exhausted and swap started being used heavily by portage, thrashing the disk
14 as jobs were being swapped I/O. With no swap the emerge would have been
15 killed with an OOM.
18 > But seeing as I try to fill up my mobo ram, my disks are mirrored, and I
19 > still try and stick to the "twice ram" rule, this setup means any
20 > upgrades/changes to the computer means I don't break that rule. If it's
21 > overkill, well disk is cheap (and I can always nick a swap partition and
22 > repurpose it temporarily if needs be :-)
23 >
24 > Cheers,
25 > Wol
26
27 Quite, disks are cheap and having more swap won't break the bank. On PCs with
28 limited RAM I often end up adding more swap space and reducing job counts to
29 get big emerges through.
32 Regards,
33
34 Mick