From: Stratos Psomadakis <el05007@×××××××××.gr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Help me reboot X
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 00:35:20
1 O/H Kevin O'Gorman έγραψε:
2 > From time to time my X server will lock up, usually but not always
3 > while I'm editing something in ooffice. It's always something that's
4 > pretty heavily graphical. When this happens, the only thing that
5 > still works on my desktop is mouse motion. No clicks actually
6 > register, and even the three-finger salutes (BS and DEL) are feckless.
7 >
8 > However, I can SSH into the machine from elsewhere and pretty much do
9 > anything else I want. I usually have to reboot the machine, because I
10 > haven't figured out how to restart X in gentoo. I'm sure it's pretty
11 > simple, but I can't seem to find documentation on this particular
12 > thing and it's not like the usual init.d services. Lots on startup, a
13 > bit on shutdown, but nothing I see is about restart.
14 >
15 > When this happens, sometimes X is using 100% of one of the CPU's, but
16 > I don't always check and haven't recently verified my impression that
17 > sometimes all CPU's are at an idle (I have 4 hyperthreads).
18 >
19 > Can somebody help me stop and restart X? I'm using kdm for login.
20 >
21 maybe you can ssh to your machine and then:
22 ps -A | grep X
23 and see the pid of X...
24 and then kill [pid of X]...
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list