From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Help me reboot X
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 00:25:07
1 >From time to time my X server will lock up, usually but not always
2 while I'm editing something in ooffice. It's always something that's
3 pretty heavily graphical. When this happens, the only thing that
4 still works on my desktop is mouse motion. No clicks actually
5 register, and even the three-finger salutes (BS and DEL) are feckless.
6
7 However, I can SSH into the machine from elsewhere and pretty much do
8 anything else I want. I usually have to reboot the machine, because I
9 haven't figured out how to restart X in gentoo. I'm sure it's pretty
10 simple, but I can't seem to find documentation on this particular
11 thing and it's not like the usual init.d services. Lots on startup, a
12 bit on shutdown, but nothing I see is about restart.
13
14 When this happens, sometimes X is using 100% of one of the CPU's, but
15 I don't always check and haven't recently verified my impression that
16 sometimes all CPU's are at an idle (I have 4 hyperthreads).
17
18 Can somebody help me stop and restart X? I'm using kdm for login.
21 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
22 --
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list