From: Paul Sebastian Ziegler <psz@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: kogorman@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Help me reboot X
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 01:06:59
1 > Can somebody help me stop and restart X? I'm using kdm for login.
2
3 Just in case your X-Server is still responding AT ALL you can always try
4 hitting Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to kill it. This will work up to a certain
5 level of "hanging".
6
7 Then simply restart it by typing "startx".
8
9 Otherwise ssh into your box and use "ps -ax | grep X" or "ps -e | grep
10 X" to get X's PID and then kill it using "kill".
11 kill has a priority switch. So "kill [PID]" might not work. However
12 "kill -9 [PID]" will kill about anything on the spot. If the -9-switch
13 fails to kill X you are having more serious troubles.
14
15 My two cents
16 Paul
19 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list