From: "Guillermo A. Amaral" <me@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Help me reboot X
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 01:55:07
1 On Sunday 03 June 2007 17:16, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 > From time to time my X server will lock up, usually but not always
3 > <snip>
4 > However, I can SSH into the machine from elsewhere and pretty much do
5 > anything else I want. I usually have to reboot the machine, because I
6 > haven't figured out how to restart X in gentoo. I'm sure it's pretty
7 > simple, but I can't seem to find documentation on this particular
8 > thing and it's not like the usual init.d services. Lots on startup, a
9 > bit on shutdown, but nothing I see is about restart.
10 >
11 > When this happens, sometimes X is using 100% of one of the CPU's, but
12 > I don't always check and haven't recently verified my impression that
13 > sometimes all CPU's are at an idle (I have 4 hyperthreads).
14 >
15 > Can somebody help me stop and restart X? I'm using kdm for login.
16 >
17 > --
18 > Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
19
20 If you are using KDM you can always do a "killall X" as root and KDM should
21 bring it back up for you.
24 Guillermo A. Amaral, CSE
25 # Free & Open Source Advocate
26 & nick: guillermoamaral