From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Help me reboot X
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 22:30:34
1 On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 17:16:52 -0700
2 "Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > From time to time my X server will lock up, usually but not always
5 > while I'm editing something in ooffice. It's always something that's
6 > pretty heavily graphical. When this happens, the only thing that
7 > still works on my desktop is mouse motion. No clicks actually
8 > register, and even the three-finger salutes (BS and DEL) are feckless.
9 >
10 > However, I can SSH into the machine from elsewhere and pretty much do
11 > anything else I want. I usually have to reboot the machine, because I
12 > haven't figured out how to restart X in gentoo. I'm sure it's pretty
13 > simple, but I can't seem to find documentation on this particular
14 > thing and it's not like the usual init.d services. Lots on startup, a
15 > bit on shutdown, but nothing I see is about restart.
16 >
17 > When this happens, sometimes X is using 100% of one of the CPU's, but
18 > I don't always check and haven't recently verified my impression that
19 > sometimes all CPU's are at an idle (I have 4 hyperthreads).
20 >
21 > Can somebody help me stop and restart X? I'm using kdm for login.
22 >
23 Just find the offending process's id number and issue it a term signal.
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list