From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Help me reboot X
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 11:51:54
1 070603 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 > From time to time my X server will lock up,
3 > usually but not always while I'm editing something in ooffice.
4 > It's always something that's pretty heavily graphical.
5 > When this happens, the only thing that still works on my desktop
6 > is mouse motion. No clicks actually register
7 > and even the three-finger salutes (BS and DEL) are feckless.
8 > Can somebody help me stop and restart X? I'm using kdm for login.
9
10 I've run into this too & had concluded it was minor defects in memory
11 brought about when the box heats a bit more than usual
12 (one memory bit's magnetism spills over into a neighbour).
13 I boot into a raw terminal, then start X with 'startx',
14 so your problem probably has nothing to do with Kdm.
15
16 Your experience & a couple of earlier reports on the list
17 suggest there is an obscure bug somewhere in X ,
18 which would be very difficult to track down or even describe for bugzilla.
19 It seems unlikely to be a driver bug, as I've not changed cards recently.
20
21 I have just tested 'Alt-PrintScreen-K' -- press all simultaneously --
22 & it blanks the screen, after which I can use 'Ctl-Alt-F1'
23 to re-access the TTY, when 'Return' brings a terminal prompt
24 & I can restart X with 'startx' as usual (super-fast!);
25 this depends on enabling the 'magic SysRq' option in the kernel.
26 Of course, I don't know whether it will work next time X locks up (smile).
30 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
31 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
32 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
33 --
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list