From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Help me reboot X
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 22:39:01
1 070604 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 070603 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
3 >> From time to time my X server will lock up,
4 >> usually while I'm editing something heavily graphical.
5 >> When this happens, the only thing that still works on my desktop
6 >> is mouse motion. No clicks actually register
7 >> and even the three-finger salutes (BS and DEL) are feckless.
8 > Your experience & a couple of earlier reports on the list
9 > suggest there is an obscure bug somewhere in X .
10 > I have just tested 'Alt-PrintScreen-K' -- press all simultaneously --
11
12 Well today, I've had 2 lock-ups ! Both involved Epiphany
13 -- which I find a bit faster & more convenient than FF/Konqueror -- ,
14 the 1st merely locking the browser, which I was able to kill
15 after going to another desktop with a Konsole & running Htop,
16 the 2nd just now involving a total lock-up as described above
17 & yes the 'Alt-PrintScreen-K' manoeuvre does act as a get-out-of-jail card:
18 you have to re-enter the TTY with 'Ctl-Alt-F1',
19 where there are a lot of msgs announcing that X has been killed
20 & you can restart it with 'startx' (my normal method).
24 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
25 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
26 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list