From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 02:35:04
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Fair enough. I don't agree that leaving Gentoo because you chose to
3 > put all of /usr on LVM and then chose not to deal with the
4 > implications of that over time, but it's your choice and I certainly
5 > support choice. And I appreciate you communicating your POV. I'm also
6 > interested in Bruce's history about initrd. Sounds like if that worked
7 > today I'd just use it to make an initrd and be done with it. Unlike
8 > you, I guess, I don't have any political position on these images that
9 > get used early on, any more than I do or do not like the format of
10 > grub.conf or other things like that. Cheers, Mark
11
12 Putting /usr on LVM is not the problem. I have had /usr on LVM for a
13 good long while now. It has booted just fine. The new udev is what is
14 going to break it, whether I use LVM or not from what has been said on
15 this list and elsewhere.
16
17 My point is, I came here to get rid of the init nightmare. I have my
18 system set up specifically to avoid the init thingy. If I am going to
19 have a init thingy that I can't fix without spending hours doing it, I
20 may as well move to something easier. In the past, the only way I could
21 get a init thingy fixed was to reinstall. If anyone here thinks I am
22 going to do that with Gentoo, they are completely out of their mind and
23 plumb bat guano crazy. I'll be installing Linux but it won't be a all
24 day event. With all the distros out there, I bet I can find something
25 that installs pretty fast and maybe even not have a init thingy to
26 boot. One never knows. ;-) When I moved to Gentoo, I felt like I
27 moved up. Simple setup, works simply and works every time. Now, I feel
28 like I am taking a step backwards, not forward. I have already seen the
29 past, I don't want to repeat it.
30
31 That's my opinion. I'm not saying everyone should share it or believe
32 it either. I believe it tho. I love Gentoo but not enough to have to
33 start over or spend hours trying to figure out something that I
34 shouldn't have to have to begin with. Progress is fine but not when it
35 breaks what is working. People thought hal was progress. Look where it
36 ended up. I think, and for some I hope, udev loses support by everyone
37 but the ones maintaining it. Let it go its way and others progress
38 forward with better ideas and not by shoving it on people either.
39
40 Just my $0.02 and considering I'm on NyQuil, it ain't much. lol
41
42 Dale
43
47 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!