From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Screen sharing software or similar
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 13:39:27
1 On Thursday 18 February 2010 15:15:52 Renat Golubchyk wrote:
2 > Hi all!
3 >
4 > I'm looking for a solution to the following problem.
5 >
6 > My relatives live 200 km away. They have a daughter, and I need to help
7 > her out with school homework etc. At the moment we cannot do it on a
8 > regular basis, because doing it over the phone is really difficult and
9 > time consuming. I thought some screen sharing software would solve
10 > this. A video conferencing or a VoIP feature would be a nice bonus,
11 > too. For easy writing I would probably buy graphics tablets since
12 > writing math formulas or drawing isn't particularly fast or easy with
13 > keyboard and mouse.
14 >
15 > So, is there some easy-to-use Linux program? I have Linux desktops on
16 > both ends (Ubuntu and Gentoo), so portability or OS-independence is not
17 > a requirement.
18 >
19 > Do you have any other ideas? For the record, we have a 2 Mbit DSL line
20 > on one end and a 6 Mbit on the other. Those are, of course, downstream
21 > bandwidth rates.
24 > Best wishes,
25 > Renat
26
27 remote desktop would be ideal except you can't usually share desktops with it.
28
29 Investigate tightvnc - the data stream can be compressed and it's very
30 efficient.
31 You could use skype for the human-to-human communication. There are of course
32 tons of alternatives but I imagine a girl at school is already very familiar
33 with skype.
37 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com