From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Alt+Fn switch console from within X11 session
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 15:05:15
1 On Wednesday 21 Sep 2016 21:09:47 Kai Krakow wrote:
2 > Am Wed, 21 Sep 2016 10:08:31 +0100
3 >
4 > schrieb Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>:
5 > > On Wednesday 21 Sep 2016 06:08:38 Kai Krakow wrote:
6 > > > I upgraded xorg to 1.18 and during that process also enabled
7 > > > USE=wayland. However, I don't run a wayland session (this actually
8 > > > doesn't seem to work with nvidia). I use sddm as the login manager,
9 > > > and I'm running latest plasma 5.7. The system is booted with
10 > > > systemd.
11 > > >
12 > > > I just came accross the following phenomenon: Hitting Alt+F2 should
13 > > > bring up krunner but instead now it switches to console 2. This was
14 > > > previously only possible with Ctrl+Alt+F2.
15 > >
16 > > I'm on xorg 1.18.4 and plasma-meta 5.7.5 but no wayland, and Alt-F2
17 > > works as it should. No systemd here though.
18 > >
19 > > Sorry I can't help, other than suggesting the keyboard shortcuts
20 > > control panel, which I'm sure you'll already have checked.
21 >
22 > I found that I should put "-keeptty" to the startup options of xorg in
23 > sddm.conf (by looking at Xorg.0.log). It looks like this was changed by
24 > either Gentoo or Xorg/SDDM/Plasma maintainers due to an incompatibility
25 > to systems not using systemd.
26 >
27 > After reboot it worked as intended.
28
29 I'm glad you mentioned Xorg.0.log; it prompted me to look at mine, and I
30 found I didn't have an fbdev driver. I found I needed to add USE=evdev to
31 dev-qt/qtgui and remerge qtgui.
32
33 That ought to have been picked up from INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" in make.conf.
34 Looks like a bug.
35
36 I think this should fix the flickering display I mentioned a few days ago.
37 Have to wait and see.
38
39 > With this option enabled on non-systemd systems, this leaves you with
40 > an unusable box in case Xorg doesn't start because the tty will
41 > then be blocked - leaving you with only the options: hard-reboot or
42 > ssh into the box.
43
44 Not funny, not at all.
47 Rgds