From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's wrong with eix? [SOLVED?]
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 15:37:35
1 Dave Nebinger schreef:
2 > On Thursday 13 October 2005 10:36 am, Dave Nebinger wrote:
3 >
4 >> Well, obviously it's a defect in eix again. I wouldn't call
5 >> dumping cdb a 'fix' as I wouldn't want to lose the performance
6 >> increase I get by using it.
7 >>
8 >> Guess I'll see what the EIX folks have to say about it...
11 > Hmm, Holly I don't know if the same stream of events happened to you,
12 > but for me:
13 >
14 > 1. python update to 2.4, missed the python-updater warning. 2.
15 > re-emerged python-cdb to get portage working again.
16
17 This I had previously done
18
19 > 3. verified
20 > missing cedega packages from eix database. 4. re-emerged eix 5.
21 > problem solved, cedega reports all versions.
22 >
23 > Try re-emerging eix, rerun update-eix, then check the output.
24
25 OHO--- here's something that I at least missed the first time I emerged eix:
26
27 * Please run 'update-eix' to setup the portage search database.
28 * The database file will be located at /var/cache/eix
29
30 ==> * If you want to use the cdb-support, you need to add
31 ==> * PORTDIR_CACHE_METHOD="cdb"
32 ==> * to you /etc/eixrc or ~/.eixrc
33
34 * To enable command-line completion for eix, run:
35 *
36 * eselect bashcomp enable eix
37
38 >>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache... app-portage/eix-0.3.0-r1 merged.
39 >>>
40 Did that-- both /etc/eixrc and ~/.eixrc were empty-- and lo and behold:
41
42 1) update-eix was incredibly fast, and
43
44 2) gave the following output:
45
46 update-eix
47 Reading Portage settings ..
48 Building database (/var/cache/eix) from scratch ..
49 ==>[0] /usr/portage/ (cache: cdb)
50 Reading 100%
51 [1] /usr/local/portage (cache: none)
52 Reading 100%
53 Applying masks ..
54
55 whereas previously, it said:
58 Reading Portage settings ..
59 Building database (/var/cache/eix) from scratch ..
60 ==>[0] /usr/portage/ (cache: flat)
61 Reading 100%
62 [1] /usr/local/portage (cache: none)
63 Reading 100%
64 Applying masks ..
65 Database contains 10251 packages in 149 categories.
66
67 So thanks for the suggestion to re-emerge eix, as I wouldn't have seen
68 that einfo otherwise (I did see the second part, but apparently when I
69 originally emerged eix I wasn't using cdb, so I ignored the message
70 relating to it.
71
72 Looks solved to me-- at least enough that I'm not going to comment on
73 your bug, which I was in the middle of when you sent this mail. But now
74 I don't have to look silly ;-) , since the cdb support is apparently
75 working fine, as long as one uses it. D'oh (on both of us).
76
77 Holly
78 --
79 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list