From: Francesco Talamona <ti.liame@×××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Problem with permisions
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 07:56:26
1 On Sunday 06 November 2005 00:18, Allan Spagnol Comar wrote:
2 > Hi all, I make a mistake and need some assistence now....
3 >
4 > I had copied my /bin, /sbin, /etc, /usr, /var, /home, /tmp to
5 > partitions that wasn´t the originals.... so when I make the copie I
6 > do not remember to use -p option and now almost nothing is working
7 > because of permitions.... I do not have the originals any more and I
8 > don´t now how to restore this.... Anyone has a idea of what this
9 > permitions are and how I can get to it.....
10 >
11 > for exemple, if I try to su it said authentication failure even
12 > before the password and the user trying to su on wheel group.... I
13 > can not change logs because of var permitions .... things like that
14 > .....
15 >
16 > Snip .... if someone had an idea or the map of permitions i will be
17 > glad .... thanks....
18 > Allan
19
20 The information about files permissions isn't easily recoverable...
21
22 With this command (it takes a very long time to run!) you will know wich
23 programs reinstall:
24 for i in $(ls -1 /bin /sbin) ; do equery belongs $i ;done | sort | uniq
25
26 /tmp permissions are 1777 if I rememeber correctly.
27 /home is not vital for system sanity, defer its recovery
28
29 Mount your system in chroot as if you would install your Gentoo (use the
30 installation CD and install guide, skipping partitioning, formatting,
31 bootstrap...!) and rebuild system programs and those listed by the
32 command above.
33
34 Another option, much faster is to skip the equery step, mount the chroot
35 and:
36 "emerge -e system"
37 Other programs complaining about permissions can be restored in a
38 following phase, from within the running system.
39
40 Ciao
41 Francesco
44 Linux Version 2.6.12-gentoo-r9, Compiled #2 Wed Aug 24 18:43:16 CEST
45 2005
46 One 2.2GHz AMD Athlon 64 Processor, 2GB RAM, 4325.37 Bogomips Total
47 aemaeth
48 --
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list