From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] xterms --featureRICH --suggestions?
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 16:53:08
1 Ok,
2
3 So, as a old fart, I got tired of KDE and never really liked gnome.
4 I have found new life in LXDE; spartan, but learning and document
5 how things work on gentoo, is hopefully something I have to only
6 do once.
7
8 I have my lxde/openbox environment mostly setup. One thing I miss
9 is feature rich tabbed terminal session. On my old rig,
10 the tabs where customizable to show current dir or rename manually.
11 When I would "ssh" into a remote system, the IP address was prominently
12 displayed in the tab header; essential for managing tons of remote
13 devices.
14
15 Im currently I launch "lxterminal" from my
16 ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart file. I think I need to upgrade the
17 lxterminal with another feature
18 rich, multitab terminal session. lxterminals does not remember or keep
19 my tabs, or the contents (working dir) either.
22 One last problem is my lxtermnal session do not remember their previous
23 screen location or size (geometry) so they just all pop up as the
24 default size in the middle of the screen. I tend to think that lxde/openbox
25 has a config file somewhere to set the screen locations/sizes but
26 it may also be related to the features offered by the "*xterm" ?
27
28 discussion and suggestions are most welcome.
29
30 One note of motivation: I now have a computational resource, I have not
31 experienced in a very long time. RAM. I canrun mulitple web browsers
32 with dozens of windows open and dozens of resource hungry applications
33 and databases, with tons of ram (~50%) to spare, all because I dumped
34 KDE. If you run KDE, you do not realize what a pig it has become, until
35 to go back to one of these feature rich, user controlled
36 desktop/workstations. I would encourage any and all without tons of
37 free ram, to ditch KDE (dunno about gnome).......
40 sincerely,
41 James