From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSH won't restart
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:52:46
1 > > Thank you but doesn't it look like there must be a problem that is
2 > > preventing my sshd from starting? Won't '/usr/bin/sshd -p 3' just
3 > > fail, or is that more likely to work than '/etc/init.d/sshd start'?
4 > It seems to me that the problem is probably the initscript is confused,
5 > and not that the config files are bad and the daemon can't start.
6 >
7 > > Also, is '/usr/bin/sshd' sufficient? Why not port 22?
8 > It is. No reason at all. But if you started it before the original
9 > ssh server had been stopped, you'd have to start it on a different port
10 > so that it didn't conflict with the original.
11
12 Guys, I'm in! I had my host execute:
13
14 sshd
15
16 and now I'm logged in, the sshd initscript was already running, and it
17 restarts perfectly. All is well! Thank you for your help!
18
19 How does my host get root access like that?
20
21 - Grant
22 --
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list