From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GnuPG Trouble - Found Problem, Need Solution
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:56:19
1 On 25/04/06, lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > More news:
3 >
4 > I successfully got GnuPG 1.9 installed, and then a new problem arose.
5 > Configuration.
6 >
7 > I went to http://kmail.kde.org/kmail-pgpmime-howto.html#gnupg and followed the
8 > instructions to the best of my ability, and yet I still get this:
9 >
10 > lsauron@localhost ~/.gnupg $ eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"
11 > gpg-agent[10716]: /home/lsauron/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf:1: invalid option
12 >
13 > so, ~lsauron/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf looks like this:
14 >
15 > lsauron@localhost ~ $ cat ~lsauron/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf
16 > gpg-agent /usr/bin/gpg-agent
17 > no-grab
18 > default-cache-ttl 1800
19 >
20 > I'm totally stumped. I didn't find anything in /usr/local/bin like
21 > kmail.kde.org said, however, /usr/bin/gpg-agent is really odd in that it's
22 > not actually there (I don't think - I can't cd to it):
23 >
24 > lsauron@localhost ~ $ cd /usr/bin
25 > lsauron@localhost /usr/bin $ ls | find gpg-agent
26 > gpg-agent
27 > lsauron@localhost /usr/bin $ cd gpg-agent
28 > bash: cd: gpg-agent: Not a directory
29 >
30 > I'm rather confused. Any help? I know I did something wrong, but I'm too
31 > close to the solution to even entertain the thought of giving up!
32 >
33 > Oh, and the dialog that prompted for gnupg 1.9, it now says that it detected
34 > the install but gpg-agent isn't running. That's why I'm happy - I'm very
35 > very close to getting this thing to work!
36
37 I only have a couple of minutes so I apologise for not writing a
38 complete answer. FWIW the gpg-agent was hard masked (yesterday?) and
39 just adding it to your /etc/portage/package.keywords won't work. You
40 need to use package.mask instead.
41
42 However, I'm not sure why the hard masking was put in place - there
43 may be a good reason to stop using gpg-agent and instead switch to
44 another package. What should we use instead guys?
45
46 To have gpg-agent starting automatically you need to enter eval
47 "$(gpg-agent --daemon)" in the appropriate desktop manager startup
48 file(s). Check the gentoo document on this topic (I can't remember if
49 I saw it in the wiki). There was also an answer to one of my posts in
50 this mailing list on gpg.
51
52 To get it started immediately just run eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"
53 from a terminal.
54
55 More later.
56 --