From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] putting mysql databases from one system to another
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 23:00:39
1 On 4/6/2011 3:47 PM, Alex Schuster wrote:
2 >> On Linux there is no difference between the on disk format so rsync
3 >> away assuming you're keeping roughly the same Mysql version.
4 >
5 > Um, but only when the architecture is identical. I'm pretty sure binary data
6 > is stored in different format on 32bit and 64bit systems.
7 >
8 > Wonko
11 I had done it myself in the past a number of times without issue, but
12 here's the documentation to back it up.
13
14 kashani
15
16 http://wikis.sun.com/display/WebStack/MySQL64bitARC
17
18 "It should be noted that, when switching between 32bit and 64bit server
19 using the same data-files, all the current major storage engines
20 (with one exception) are architecture neutral, both in endian-ness and
21 bit size. You should be able to copy a 64-bit or 32-bit DB either way,
22 and even between platforms without problems for MyISAM, InnoDB and NDB.
23 For other engines it doesn't matter (CSV, MEMORY, MERGE, BLACKHOLE and
24 FEDERATED) either the engine doesn't have a disk storage format or
25 the format they use is text based (CSV) or based on MyISAM (MERGE; and
26 therefore not an issue). The only exception is Falcon, which is only
27 available in MySQL 6.0.
28
29 It is generally recommended from MySQL that a dump and reload of
30 data for absolute compatibility for any engine and major migration."