From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] putting mysql databases from one system to another
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 22:18:24
1 kashani wrote:
2
3 > On 4/6/2011 3:47 PM, Alex Schuster wrote:
4 > >> On Linux there is no difference between the on disk format so rsync
5 > >> away assuming you're keeping roughly the same Mysql version.
6 > >
7 > > Um, but only when the architecture is identical. I'm pretty sure binary
8 > > data is stored in different format on 32bit and 64bit systems.
9
10 > I had done it myself in the past a number of times without issue, but
11 > here's the documentation to back it up.
12 >
13 > kashani
14 >
15 > http://wikis.sun.com/display/WebStack/MySQL64bitARC
16 >
17 > "It should be noted that, when switching between 32bit and 64bit server
18 > using the same data-files, all the current major storage engines
19 > (with one exception) are architecture neutral, both in endian-ness and
20 > bit size. You should be able to copy a 64-bit or 32-bit DB either way,
21 > and even between platforms without problems for MyISAM, InnoDB and NDB.
22 > For other engines it doesn't matter (CSV, MEMORY, MERGE, BLACKHOLE and
23 > FEDERATED) either the engine doesn't have a disk storage format or
24 > the format they use is text based (CSV) or based on MyISAM (MERGE; and
25 > therefore not an issue). The only exception is Falcon, which is only
26 > available in MySQL 6.0.
27 >
28 > It is generally recommended from MySQL that a dump and reload of
29 > data for absolute compatibility for any engine and major migration."
30
31 Interesting. I searched a little, and while there are many warnings that
32 binary data will not survive when moved to another architecture, some people
33 say this definitely is NOT a problem. I stand corrected.
34
35 Wonko