From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Overclocking CPU causes segmentation fault
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 18:35:59
1 Am 22.01.2013 08:41, schrieb Nilesh Govindrajan:
2 > So I have this old E2180 processor and no money as of now to buy a new
3 > rig :P
4 > I'm trying to overclock my CPU using BIOS host clock control and
5 > everything is fine at 2.6 Ghz up to bootloader.
6 >
7 > Kernel segfaults. Any idea why? I'm running pf-kernel 3.7.2 and it
8 > doesn't work with vanilla kernel either.
9 >
10 > Intel MCE is disabled in kernel configuration.
13 and now you know why overclocking is stupid. (disabling mce is stupid
14 too btw).
15
16 Before there are segfaults there are silent data corruption errors. The
17 file you downloaded and saved to the disk? Damaged - and you won't
18 know... or you will, when those errors add up, turning precious data
19 into binary garbage.
20
21 Only overclock if there is nothing of worth on your computer - and
22 nothing of worth done with it. But in that case - why use it in the
23 first place?
24
25 Don't be stupid. Don't overvlock.