From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which desktop antivirus?
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 17:27:50
1 On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > The free bitdefender only offers MSWindows downloads:
5 >
6 >  http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html#System Requirements
7 >
8 > To use bitdefender for good on a *nix it seems that you have to pay ...  :(
9 >
10 > Have I got this wrong?
11 > --
12 > Regards,
13 > Mick
16 Mick,
17 At the upper left of the page you linked to there was a link to ask
18 for a free license for personal use:
19
20 http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Products/ScannerLicense/
21
22 Do any folks here regularly run virus scanning on Gentoo boxes?
23 Reading through the reasons you might want to I still see lack of root
24 access and quick fixes for security problems at Linux advantages. Only
25 the fact that Linux is more widely used every day is a reason to be
26 concerned about anyone trying to attack. (I think.)
27
28 Do good backups of /home.
29
30 HTH,