From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which desktop antivirus?
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 18:13:10
1 On Saturday 29 Oct 2011 18:26:45 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
4 >
5 > > The free bitdefender only offers MSWindows downloads:
6 > >
7 > > http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html#System Requirements
8 > >
9 > > To use bitdefender for good on a *nix it seems that you have to pay ...
10 > > :(
11 > >
12 > > Have I got this wrong?
13 > > --
14 > > Regards,
15 > > Mick
16 >
17 > Mick,
18 > At the upper left of the page you linked to there was a link to ask
19 > for a free license for personal use:
20 >
21 > http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Products/ScannerLicense/
22
23 Nice! Thanks, I missed that!
26 > Do any folks here regularly run virus scanning on Gentoo boxes?
27 > Reading through the reasons you might want to I still see lack of root
28 > access and quick fixes for security problems at Linux advantages. Only
29 > the fact that Linux is more widely used every day is a reason to be
30 > concerned about anyone trying to attack. (I think.)
31 >
32 > Do good backups of /home.
33
34 I have never run an antivirus apps on any of my boxen. Only rkhunter and
35 chkrootkit.
36
37 However, my other half deals with clients who sent and receive messages from
38 their MSWindows machines that are occasionally infected with malicious
39 MSWindows executables. She wants to be able to check attachments in such a
40 case, advise them and not forward further.
41
42 Meanwhile, I've installed avast! and I'm now running a mammoth scan on an ntfs
43 partition. It picked up two trojans. I suspect that they are false
44 positives, but will investigate further. One of the files it picked up is the
45 pagefile.sys of a WinXP OS and it thinks it is a Win32:Patched-HO.
46
47 Hmm .... it also thinks that some Batman Begins TS_01_0.VOB files (a back up I
48 made of a legit DVD) are "... a decompression bomb!" Puleeeeeze! o_O
49 --
50 Regards,
51 Mick