From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which desktop antivirus?
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 18:26:09
1 On Oct 30, 2011 1:15 AM, "Mick" <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Saturday 29 Oct 2011 18:26:45 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > > On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > <SNIP>
6 > >
7 > > > The free bitdefender only offers MSWindows downloads:
8 > > >
9 > > > http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html#System Requirements
10 > > >
11 > > > To use bitdefender for good on a *nix it seems that you have to pay
12 ...
13 > > > :(
14 > > >
15 > > > Have I got this wrong?
16 > > > --
17 > > > Regards,
18 > > > Mick
19 > >
20 > > Mick,
21 > > At the upper left of the page you linked to there was a link to ask
22 > > for a free license for personal use:
23 > >
24 > > http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Products/ScannerLicense/
25 >
26 > Nice! Thanks, I missed that!
29 > > Do any folks here regularly run virus scanning on Gentoo boxes?
30 > > Reading through the reasons you might want to I still see lack of root
31 > > access and quick fixes for security problems at Linux advantages. Only
32 > > the fact that Linux is more widely used every day is a reason to be
33 > > concerned about anyone trying to attack. (I think.)
34 > >
35 > > Do good backups of /home.
36 >
37 > I have never run an antivirus apps on any of my boxen. Only rkhunter and
38 > chkrootkit.
39 >
40 > However, my other half deals with clients who sent and receive messages
41 from
42 > their MSWindows machines that are occasionally infected with malicious
43 > MSWindows executables. She wants to be able to check attachments in such
44 a
45 > case, advise them and not forward further.
46 >
47 > Meanwhile, I've installed avast! and I'm now running a mammoth scan on an
48 ntfs
49 > partition. It picked up two trojans. I suspect that they are false
50 > positives, but will investigate further. One of the files it picked up is
51 the
52 > pagefile.sys of a WinXP OS and it thinks it is a Win32:Patched-HO.
55 If pagefile.sys is detected as a malware, most likely the actual malware was
56 once loaded into (Windows XP's) memory got swapped, and avast! picked up its
57 remnant. Loaded into memory doesn't mean that the malware was active, if the
58 Windows XP was equipped with a good antivirus.
59
60 > Hmm .... it also thinks that some Batman Begins TS_01_0.VOB files (a back
61 up I
62 > made of a legit DVD) are "... a decompression bomb!" Puleeeeeze! o_O
63
64 AFAIK "decompression bomb" is just avast!'s colorful way of saying that
65 "this file is compressed, and I can't uncompress it to scan its contents,
66 because there's not enough RAM to do a decompression."
67
68 Rgds,