From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which desktop antivirus?
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 18:41:56
1 On Saturday 29 Oct 2011 19:25:00 Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > On Oct 30, 2011 1:15 AM, "Mick" <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > pagefile.sys of a WinXP OS and it thinks it is a Win32:Patched-HO.
5 >
6 > If pagefile.sys is detected as a malware, most likely the actual malware
7 > was once loaded into (Windows XP's) memory got swapped, and avast! picked
8 > up its remnant. Loaded into memory doesn't mean that the malware was
9 > active, if the Windows XP was equipped with a good antivirus.
10
11 Interesting! The WinXP has Microsoft Security Essentials on it. I'll ask my
12 wife if it picked up anything lately.
13
14 > > Hmm .... it also thinks that some Batman Begins TS_01_0.VOB files (a back
15 >
16 > up I
17 >
18 > > made of a legit DVD) are "... a decompression bomb!" Puleeeeeze! o_O
19 >
20 > AFAIK "decompression bomb" is just avast!'s colorful way of saying that
21 > "this file is compressed, and I can't uncompress it to scan its contents,
22 > because there's not enough RAM to do a decompression."
23
24 Oh! I see ...
25
26 (I was in close proximity when bombs were going off in London and I get a bit
27 jumpy unnecessarily it seems! :))
30 Regards,
31 Mick