From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 'emerge -avDuN world' doesn't find everything
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 23:10:22
1 On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >>> When this was asked a few weeks ago someone then asked why
3 >>> --with-bdeps Y isn't the default? This seems to burn nearly everyone
4 >>> once in awhile.
5 >>
6 >> Because using --with-bdeps y causes unnecessary compilation of packages
7 >> that don't need t0 be changed. They won't be used again until the
8 >> dependent package is updated, so why waste time rebuilding them in the
9 >> interim?
10 >>
11 >> No one really gets "burned" by this, they just wonder why installed
12 >> packages aren't upgraded, nothing stops working.
13 >
14 > I added:
15 >
16 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps n"
17 >
18 > to make.conf and ran 'emerge --depclean' and it got rid of a bunch of
19 > stuff, but I'm still confused by boost. --depclean didn't remove it,
20 > 'emerge -avDuN world' doesn't downgrade it even --with-bdeps y, but
21 > 'emerge -pv boost' would downgrade it. I also re-emerged twinkle and
22 > rb_libtorrent which are the packages that depend on boost, but the
23 > result is the same.
24 >
25 > Also man seems to be broken after that --depclean. When I try to use
26 > it, I get errors starting with:
27 >
28 > sh: /usr/bin/unlzma: No such file or directory
29
30 Yeah... removing all those bdeps is probably not a good idea. Plus,
31 they'll just have to be re-emerged next time you emerge anything that
32 needs them.