From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 'emerge -avDuN world' doesn't find everything
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 22:51:49
1 >> When this was asked a few weeks ago someone then asked why
2 >> --with-bdeps Y isn't the default? This seems to burn nearly everyone
3 >> once in awhile.
4 >
5 > Because using --with-bdeps y causes unnecessary compilation of packages
6 > that don't need t0 be changed. They won't be used again until the
7 > dependent package is updated, so why waste time rebuilding them in the
8 > interim?
9 >
10 > No one really gets "burned" by this, they just wonder why installed
11 > packages aren't upgraded, nothing stops working.
12
13 I added:
14
15 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps n"
16
17 to make.conf and ran 'emerge --depclean' and it got rid of a bunch of
18 stuff, but I'm still confused by boost. --depclean didn't remove it,
19 'emerge -avDuN world' doesn't downgrade it even --with-bdeps y, but
20 'emerge -pv boost' would downgrade it. I also re-emerged twinkle and
21 rb_libtorrent which are the packages that depend on boost, but the
22 result is the same.
23
24 Also man seems to be broken after that --depclean. When I try to use
25 it, I get errors starting with:
26
27 sh: /usr/bin/unlzma: No such file or directory
28
29 - Grant