From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Things that can be improved
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 15:45:16
1 Walter Dnes schrieb:
2 > On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 09:22:29PM +0200, Rafael Fern??ndez L??pez wrote
3 >
4 >> This is not flame war. I love Gentoo, and it is the distribution
5 >> that fits me perfectly, but I've been wondering this last year what
6 >> things can be improved in this wonderful distro.
7 >>
8 >> The first thing that I'd change is "etc-update" or "dispatch-conf".
9 >
10 > etc-update needs only one change to make it perfect for me, namely the
11 > ability to protect changes to default parameters. Here are 3 examples
12 > from a recent update, where an automaton has no business touching
13 > certain lines...
14 >
15 > /etc/conf.d/bootmisc
16 > -WIPE_TMP="yes"
17 > +WIPE_TMP="no"
18 >
19 > /etc/conf.d/local.start
20 > # This is a good place to load any misc programs
21 > -# on startup ( use 1>&2 to hide output)
22 > -modprobe snd-virmidi index=1
23 > +# on startup (use &>/dev/null to hide output)
24 > +
25 >
26 > /etc/conf.d/rc
27 > @@ -74,7 +89,12 @@
28 > # and restore it on startup. This is useful if you have a lot of
29 > # custom device nodes that udev does not handle/know about.
30 >
31 > -RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="yes"
32 > +RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="no"
33 > +
34 >
35 > When I say "yes" I mean "yes". When I say "no" I mean "no". And I
36 > don't mean "just until the next update" either. I have reasons for my
37 > settings; please don't act like Windows and assume that you know better
38 > than me.
39
40 But actually, they do *NOT* pretend to know better! The way it is
41 now, is, that you're asked if you wish to accept those changes
42
43 > And there is no excuse whatsoever for wiping out the custom
44 > settings in /etc/conf.d/local.start
45 >
46 > Would it be possible to have some comment declaration like...
47 >
48 > #etc-update-protect-begin
49 > WIPE_TMP="yes"
50 > #etc-update-protect-end
51 >
52 > ...to protect a block of lines against changes, while allowing other
53 > lines to be changed?
54
55 Hm - that might actually be a good idea. While there are certain
56 *parts* in a configuration file that can be updated, there are
57 certain parts, that shouldn't be.
58
59 BUT: How should that actually work? Suppose you had this "etc-upadte-protect-begin"
60 and "-end" block. How should diff see, that changes in such a block
61 are NOT to be considered? I mean, in the original file, there's *no*
62 such block (and I actually wouldn't want such a block to be in default
63 configuration files).
64
65 Alexander Skwar
66 --
67 grasshopotomaus:
68 A creature that can leap to tremendous heights... once.
69 --
70 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list