From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Things that can be improved
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 20:50:40
1 On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 09:22:29PM +0200, Rafael Fern??ndez L??pez wrote
2
3 > This is not flame war. I love Gentoo, and it is the distribution
4 > that fits me perfectly, but I've been wondering this last year what
5 > things can be improved in this wonderful distro.
6 >
7 > The first thing that I'd change is "etc-update" or "dispatch-conf".
8
9 etc-update needs only one change to make it perfect for me, namely the
10 ability to protect changes to default parameters. Here are 3 examples
11 from a recent update, where an automaton has no business touching
12 certain lines...
13
14 /etc/conf.d/bootmisc
15 -WIPE_TMP="yes"
16 +WIPE_TMP="no"
17
18 /etc/conf.d/local.start
19 # This is a good place to load any misc programs
20 -# on startup ( use 1>&2 to hide output)
21 -modprobe snd-virmidi index=1
22 +# on startup (use &>/dev/null to hide output)
23 +
24
25 /etc/conf.d/rc
26 @@ -74,7 +89,12 @@
27 # and restore it on startup. This is useful if you have a lot of
28 # custom device nodes that udev does not handle/know about.
29
30 -RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="yes"
31 +RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="no"
32 +
33
34 When I say "yes" I mean "yes". When I say "no" I mean "no". And I
35 don't mean "just until the next update" either. I have reasons for my
36 settings; please don't act like Windows and assume that you know better
37 than me. And there is no excuse whatsoever for wiping out the custom
38 settings in /etc/conf.d/local.start
39
40 Would it be possible to have some comment declaration like...
41
42 #etc-update-protect-begin
43 WIPE_TMP="yes"
44 #etc-update-protect-end
45
46 ...to protect a block of lines against changes, while allowing other
47 lines to be changed?
50 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
51 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
52 --