From: Gerhard Hoogterp <gerhard@×××××××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Things that can be improved
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 21:09:00
1 > When I say "yes" I mean "yes". When I say "no" I mean "no". And I
2 > don't mean "just until the next update" either. I have reasons for my
3 > settings; please don't act like Windows and assume that you know better
4 > than me. And there is no excuse whatsoever for wiping out the custom
5 > settings in /etc/conf.d/local.start
6
7 As I wrote in an other mail: Stop interfering with the actual configfile and
8 add the changes to a config.conf.dist file. There you don't have to ask for
9 permission and a simple diff can reveal the changes whenever I want.
10
11 During install a copy of this file could be installed already for direct use..
12
13 Something alike for the messages during an emerge. Often I see instructions on
14 what to do after the emerge flashing by while doing an emerge world, I don't
15 even want to know how many I miss.. Why not log those to a seperate file so
16 one can actually find them back afterwards?
17
18 I know Gentoo is supposed to be for those who know how to deal with things,
19 but that doesn't mean it should be more complicated of dangerous than
20 needed..
21
22 Gerhard
23 --