From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Things that can be improved
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 15:47:42
1 Gerhard Hoogterp schrieb:
2 >> When I say "yes" I mean "yes". When I say "no" I mean "no". And I
3 >> don't mean "just until the next update" either. I have reasons for my
4 >> settings; please don't act like Windows and assume that you know better
5 >> than me. And there is no excuse whatsoever for wiping out the custom
6 >> settings in /etc/conf.d/local.start
7 >
8 > As I wrote in an other mail: Stop interfering with the actual configfile and
9 > add the changes to a config.conf.dist file.
10
11 Yep, you wrote that, and I answered that *I* would *NOT* like this.
12 I like it, that I can use a program right away - at least in a
13 "default" way. If you had your way, *NO* program which relied
14 on configuration files would be usable after installation, as
15 no configuration file could be found. Because of that, I would
16 not want to happen what you proposed.
17
18 > There you don't have to ask for
19 > permission and a simple diff can reveal the changes whenever I want.
20
21 A simple diff is all that's done right now (well, basically at least;
22 basically etc-update can be seen as a sort of front-end to diff).
23
24 > During install a copy of this file could be installed already for direct use..
28 > Something alike for the messages during an emerge. Often I see instructions on
29 > what to do after the emerge flashing by while doing an emerge world, I don't
30 > even want to know how many I miss.. Why not log those to a seperate file so
31 > one can actually find them back afterwards?
32
33 "Why not"? Simple - because it's already done that way. You can
34 save all the messages which meet a certain level (ie. either log
35 all ewarn messages, all einfo messages or both kinds of messages).
36
37 > I know Gentoo is supposed to be for those who know how to deal with things,
38 > but that doesn't mean it should be more complicated of dangerous than
39 > needed..
40
41 ACK.
42
43 Alexander Skwar
44 --
45 Excess on occasion is exhilarating. It prevents moderation from
46 acquiring the deadening effect of a habit.
47 -- W. Somerset Maugham
48 --
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list