From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to access mounted dir with non-root?
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 20:54:25
1 On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 17:59:25 -0500, Michael Swanson wrote:
2
3 > Is this technique of umask=0 safe to use on an NTFS volume? I want to
4 > mount an NTFS drive on my desktop so that a regular user can access it.
5 > Is there a similar way to mount it with only read permissions,
6 > seeing as writing to NTFS drives isn't usually a particularly good idea
7 > with Linux.
8
9 NTFS partitions are usually mounted with the ro option (read only) so it
10 doesn't matter what write permissions you set. But to be certain, you
11 could set umask=222.
15 Neil Bothwick
16
17 "Bother," said Pooh, as he pulled the alien face-hugger off.