From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 18:37:05
1 On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2014-02-20 10:55 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 6:53 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
5 >> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> while I agree with most everything you said, your primary point -
8 >>> that it should be the people who *don't* want systemd doing all of
9 >>> the work - was backwards, and that was what I wanted to point out.
12 >> I still believe that a non-systemd profile should be done by the
13 >> people not wanting to use systemd. But since I now support the systemd
14 >> profile (since it's trivial) the point is moot.
17 > <snip>
20 >>> Bottom line: since Gentoo's default and primary init system is (and
21 >>> hopefully will be for a very long time) OpenRC, it is on the systemd
22 >>> folks
23 >>> to do the work to get systemd fully supported.
26 >> Which has been the case up until now.
29 > As you have freely admitted that OpenRC being the default init system for
30 > gentoo is unlikely to change anytime soon, I'm at a loss as to how you can
31 > justify your first comment above? Your comment would only make sense if
32 > systemd was made the default init system.
33
34 OK, I think I get the misunderstanding. This is how I saw the discussion:
35
36 1. Some people started to say that systemd should go on its own
37 profile. The people saying that DID NOT wanted to use systemd.
38 2. I thought that the people using systemd were not interested in
39 making a systemd profile (I was wrong, the profile basically already
40 exists).
41 3. Since you cannot FORCE no one to work on something, then the burden
42 of work of this systemd profile would have landed on the people NOT
43 WANTING to use systemd. To me, this does not make sense.
44 4. When someone (don't remember whom) proposed a systemd-sucks
45 profile, I thought that was perfect, because the burden of work then
46 would have landed on the people that want this profile. I even
47 volunteered to help.
48 5. The moment I saw that the profile is already done, I changed my
49 mind; the people using systemd ALREADY did the work (which seems to be
50 trivial, BTW; I didn't knew that either), therefore no one is trying
51 forcing anyone to do work, then a systemd profile is fine (since it's
52 already done).
53
54 This is orthogonal to which init system is the default, I think. I was
55 just arguing that if a group A of people want a profile X, that group
56 A of people must do the work to get said profile X working. In the
57 case of systemd, that means *using* systemd, so it made no sense to me
58 that the group A did the work, when they *do not* want to use systemd.
59
60 Once again, all of this is made moot by the fact that the systemd
61 profile is basically available now. But that does not change my point
62 that if someone wants a X profile, then the burden of work must fall
63 on that someone.
64
65 Clear now?
66