From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 20:07:10
1 On 2014-02-20 1:36 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > The moment I saw that the profile is already done, I changed my
3 > mind; the people using systemd ALREADY did the work (which seems to be
4 > trivial, BTW; I didn't knew that either), therefore no one is trying
5 > forcing anyone to do work, then a systemd profile is fine (since it's
6 > already done).
7
8 Well, sort of... there are currently only two systemd profiles (gnome
9 and kde).
10
11 Is someone wants to use systemd with any of the other predefined
12 profiles, ie:
13
14 default/linux/amd64/13.0
15
16 then their current choice is to change to systemd manually (which as you
17 and others have pointed out doesn't seem to be that big a deal), or, if
18 they wanted to make it easier for anyone/everyone else (which, I
19 believe, as a systemd proponent, you would be in favor of) to choose
20 systemd at install time, they could do the work of creating a new
21 systemd version of each of the other profiles.
22
23 Hmmm...
24
25 Thinking about this more, since apparently using a separate profile may
26 just be 'overkill', how about something simpler, like, for example,
27 using eselect...
28
29 Something like:
30
31 # eselect init list
32 Available init systems:
33 [1] OpenRC *
34 [2] systemd
35 [3] runit
36
37 (whatever choices are supported).
38
39 Or am I just being ridiculous?
40
41 > This is orthogonal to which init system is the default, I think.
42
43 No, actually, I think whatever is defined as the current default should
44 dictate which group should be required to do the work.
45
46 > I was just arguing that if a group A of people want a profile X, that
47 > group A of people must do the work to get said profile X working. In
48 > the case of systemd, that means *using* systemd, so it made no sense
49 > to me that the group A did the work, when they *do not* want to use
50 > systemd.
51
52 ?
53
54 If Group A wants to be able to easily use systemd in gentoo, then Group
55 A people must get together and create systemd version of all of the
56 profiles they want to be able to use systemd with... ie, if they want a
57 hardened amd64 systemd profile, they would have to create one.
58
59 > Once again, all of this is made moot by the fact that the systemd
60 > profile is basically available now. But that does not change my point
61 > that if someone wants a X profile, then the burden of work must fall
62 > on that someone.
63
64 I agree... but since OpenRC is the default init system for gentoo, and
65 certain people want to make it easier for people to install and/or
66 switch to systemd in gentoo, then it is on *those* people to do the work.
67
68 I'm still not sure why we are still discussing this... ;)
69
70 Maybe a language thing?