From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 21:04:38
1 On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 2:06 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
2 wrote:
3 > On 2014-02-20 1:36 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> The moment I saw that the profile is already done, I changed my
6 >> mind; the people using systemd ALREADY did the work (which seems to be
7 >> trivial, BTW; I didn't knew that either), therefore no one is trying
8 >> forcing anyone to do work, then a systemd profile is fine (since it's
9 >> already done).
12 > Well, sort of... there are currently only two systemd profiles (gnome and
13 > kde).
14
15 No, the link [1] that Andreas K. Huettel posted in [2] (which I believe you
16 never saw) *IS* basically all you need for a systemd "profile".
17
18 It's, almost literally, *nothing*.
19
20 > Is someone wants to use systemd with any of the other predefined profiles,
21 > ie:
22 >
23 > default/linux/amd64/13.0
24 >
25 > then their current choice is to change to systemd manually (which as you
26 and
27 > others have pointed out doesn't seem to be that big a deal), or, if they
28 > wanted to make it easier for anyone/everyone else (which, I believe, as a
29 > systemd proponent, you would be in favor of) to choose systemd at install
30 > time, they could do the work of creating a new systemd version of each of
31 > the other profiles.
32 >
33 > Hmmm...
34 >
35 > Thinking about this more, since apparently using a separate profile may
36 just
37 > be 'overkill', how about something simpler, like, for example, using
38 > eselect...
39 >
40 > Something like:
41 >
42 > # eselect init list
43 > Available init systems:
44 > [1] OpenRC *
45 > [2] systemd
46 > [3] runit
47 >
48 > (whatever choices are supported).
49 >
50 > Or am I just being ridiculous?
51
52 No, yo are not; but the switching requires reemerging things because you
53 need to set some USE flags and quit others. That's the "difficult" (which
54 is not, really) part; if you set the USE flags yourself or via a profile,
55 or an eselect module, I don't think the difference matters at all.
56
57 >> This is orthogonal to which init system is the default, I think.
58 >
59 > No, actually, I think whatever is defined as the current default should
60 > dictate which group should be required to do the work.
61
62 I think this is where we think differently (regarding this particular
63 point). The work must be done by *whomever* wants to do the job. So if the
64 systemd people want to do a profile that's fine (and this already
65 happened); but if they don't want to, nobody can force them to do it (this
66 is academic right now, since they already did the [pretty trivial] work).
67
68 If the systemd people did not wanted to do the job, then, since you can't
69 force them, the people *not* wanting systemd would be the ones required to
70 do it. And that makes absolutely no sense.
71
72 Again, this is all moot since the profile already exists. And even without
73 a profile, the change is easy enough.
74
75 >> I was just arguing that if a group A of people want a profile X, that
76 >> group A of people must do the work to get said profile X working. In
77 >> the case of systemd, that means *using* systemd, so it made no sense
78 >> to me that the group A did the work, when they *do not* want to use
79 >> systemd.
82 > ?
83 >
84 > If Group A wants to be able to easily use systemd in gentoo, then Group A
85 > people must get together and create systemd version of all of the profiles
86 > they want to be able to use systemd with... ie, if they want a hardened
87 > amd64 systemd profile, they would have to create one.
88
89 That's the failing in your logic (IMO); if group A wants systemd, they
90 already got it. No profile would make it easier (since reemerging stuff
91 will still be necessary), so we don't really need it. Even so, such a
92 profile (or "candidate" for a profile, if you desire to call it that way)
93 already exists.
94
95 But if nobody wants to do a systemd "proper" profile, that's fine, and
96 nobody will force no one to write it.
97
98 >> Once again, all of this is made moot by the fact that the systemd
99 >> profile is basically available now. But that does not change my point
100 >> that if someone wants a X profile, then the burden of work must fall
101 >> on that someone.
102 >
103 > I agree... but since OpenRC is the default init system for gentoo, and
104 > certain people want to make it easier for people to install and/or switch
106 > systemd in gentoo, then it is on *those* people to do the work.
107
108 If someone willing and able wants to do the work, it will be done. If
109 nobody wants to do the work, the work will not get done. Business as usual
110 in Gentoo and Linux.
111
112 > I'm still not sure why we are still discussing this... ;)
113
114 Just some different views on how the work gets done, I think.
115
116 > Maybe a language thing?
117
118 Possibly.