From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 21:23:33
1 On 2014-02-20 4:04 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >> No, actually, I think whatever is defined as the current default should
3 >> dictate which group should be required to do the work.
4
5 > I think this is where we think differently (regarding this particular
6 > point). The work must be done by *whomever* wants to do the job. So if
7 > the systemd people want to do a profile that's fine (and this already
8 > happened); but if they don't want to, nobody can force them to do it
9 > (this is academic right now, since they already did the [pretty trivial]
10 > work).
11 >
12 > If the systemd people did not wanted to do the job, then, since you
13 > can't force them, the people *not* wanting systemd would be the ones
14 > required to do it. And that makes absolutely no sense.
15
16 I think we agree, but you keep saying we don't... ;)
17
18 The difference is, since OpenRC is the default, all of the existing
19 profiles are, by definition, OpenRC based profiles. So, people who don't
20 want systemd simply have to do... nothing!
21
22 As I said before, it is people who want systemd who currently have to
23 'do something', and that is as it should be, unless/until the default of
24 OpenRC is changed to systemd.