From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 21:38:54
1 On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 3:22 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2014-02-20 4:04 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>>
4 >>> No, actually, I think whatever is defined as the current default should
5 >>> dictate which group should be required to do the work.
8 >> I think this is where we think differently (regarding this particular
9 >> point). The work must be done by *whomever* wants to do the job. So if
10 >> the systemd people want to do a profile that's fine (and this already
11 >> happened); but if they don't want to, nobody can force them to do it
12 >> (this is academic right now, since they already did the [pretty trivial]
13 >> work).
14 >>
15 >> If the systemd people did not wanted to do the job, then, since you
16 >> can't force them, the people *not* wanting systemd would be the ones
17 >> required to do it. And that makes absolutely no sense.
20 > I think we agree, but you keep saying we don't... ;)
21 >
22 > The difference is, since OpenRC is the default, all of the existing profiles
23 > are, by definition, OpenRC based profiles. So, people who don't want systemd
24 > simply have to do... nothing!
25
26 OK, I see your point.
27
28 > As I said before, it is people who want systemd who currently have to 'do
29 > something', and that is as it should be, unless/until the default of OpenRC
30 > is changed to systemd.
31
32 Agreed.
33