From: Michael Higgins <linux@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 23:37:21
1 On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 15:38:46 -0600
2 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 3:22 PM, Tanstaafl
5 > <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
6 > > On 2014-02-20 4:04 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >>>
8 > >>> No, actually, I think whatever is defined as the current default
9 > >>> should dictate which group should be required to do the work.
12 > >> I think this is where we think differently (regarding this
13 > >> particular point). The work must be done by *whomever* wants to do
14 > >> the job. So if the systemd people want to do a profile that's fine
15 > >> (and this already happened); but if they don't want to, nobody can
16 > >> force them to do it (this is academic right now, since they
17 > >> already did the [pretty trivial] work).
18 > >>
19 > >> If the systemd people did not wanted to do the job, then, since you
20 > >> can't force them, the people *not* wanting systemd would be the
21 > >> ones required to do it. And that makes absolutely no sense.
24 > > I think we agree, but you keep saying we don't... ;)
25 > >
26 > > The difference is, since OpenRC is the default, all of the existing
27 > > profiles are, by definition, OpenRC based profiles. So, people who
28 > > don't want systemd simply have to do... nothing!
29 >
30 > OK, I see your point.
31 >
32 > > As I said before, it is people who want systemd who currently have
33 > > to 'do something', and that is as it should be, unless/until the
34 > > default of OpenRC is changed to systemd.
35 >
36 > Agreed.
37 >
38 > Regards.
39
40 Been following along, jumping in late.
41
42 That does settle the issue with regard to Gentoo 'defaults' for now. As
43 I see it, if you are a desktop [l]user, then go ahead and use a quick
44 systemd default. It's good enough. And Gnome folks, from what I
45 understood, didn't have an easy opt-out choice, really. At least not
46 easy enough for me to grok right away.
47
48 Anyway, some arguments on the other branches of this thread got me
49 thinking. Take the binary log files. This seems to be something we all
50 understand to some extent (as compared to init systems, say), whether
51 a tinkerer or enterprise user. There's now something corporate sitting
52 between me and the evil crap coming out of my daemons.
53
54 Who logs the loggers?
55
56 My thought was, well, say if someone else, some other, unrelated team
57 entirely, was maintaining a codebase for handling that logging data,
58 that's a way out of the monoculture of systemd that would give some
59 peace of mind. If they, as also smart, talented coders began to
60 disagree, they might have capacity to keep the project in bounds.
61
62 So, for the hell of it, I just went to have a look at what the deal
63 might be with that binary data that hangs around and dumps to disk,
64 maybe, in one format or another.
65
66 "This document explains the basic structure of the file format on disk.
67 We are making this available primarily to allow review and provide
68 documentation. Note that the actual implementation in the systemd
69 codebase is the only ultimately authoritative description of the
70 format, so if this document and the code disagree, the code is right.
71 That said we'll of course try hard to keep this document up-to-date and
72 accurate.
73
74 Instead of implementing your own reader or writer for journal files we
75 ask you to use the Journal's native C API to access these files. It
76 provides you with full access to the files, and will not withhold any
77 data. If you find a limitation, please ping us and we might add some
78 additional interfaces for you."
79
80 From:
81
82 http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/journal-files/
83
84 Wow, that makes me feel all warm, fuzzy and secure as shit. I think I
85 just fell asleep for a moment. (My background would make me read this,
86 essentially advertising copy, as a classic example of perverse use of
87 semiotics, thus raising the reading on my B.S. meter. But I digress.)
88
89 The best part is the conclusion:
90
91 *If you find a limitation, please ping us and we might add some
92 additional interfaces for you.*
93
94 Please! Ping!
95
96 Second best is, "we'll of course try hard to keep this document
97 up-to-date and accurate". Of course.
98
99 So. If I were paranoid, or even mildly concerned, I'd take this to mean
100 two things:
101
102 One. There is, or could be, data that the systemd logging magic box
103 doesn't give you an interface for. Unless you know what it is, then
104 they might let you log it. Or you can, of course, contribute code, I'm
105 sure. Though, "Note that the actual implementation in the systemd
106 codebase is the only ultimately authoritative description of the
107 format".
108
109 Two. If I want to have a reasonable degree of surety that the code
110 isn't collecting data that isn't interfaced for you in the
111 journalcontrol, I'd have to delve into the codebase for systemd. Which,
112 I'm sure, is a piece of cake. And, of course, I, and my security team,
113 have to review the basic code on my GNU/Linux F[L]OSS machine regularly
114 anyway.
115
116 Oh, wait... No I don't.
117
118 The beauty of the development model I trust is a diverse group of folks
119 with a *variety of interests* contributing to various areas of code, in
120 turn reviewed by some set of that same varied group, eventually
121 committed and merged rolled tested in the wild.
122
123 Or however you may see the ideal (or fantasy) of the ecosystem as we
124 know, or knew it.
125
126 Just the comment in this other related thread, systemd deprecating a
127 straightforward encryption setup in version N, what is next?
128
129 Okay, I'll go re-wire my tin hat now. Hope someone found this amusing.
130
131 Cheers,
132
133 - mykhyggz