From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 01:40:58
1 On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 5:37 PM, Michael Higgins <linux@×××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 15:38:46 -0600
3 > Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 3:22 PM, Tanstaafl
6 >> <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
7 >> > On 2014-02-20 4:04 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >> >>>
9 >> >>> No, actually, I think whatever is defined as the current default
10 >> >>> should dictate which group should be required to do the work.
11 >> >
12 >> >
13 >> >> I think this is where we think differently (regarding this
14 >> >> particular point). The work must be done by *whomever* wants to do
15 >> >> the job. So if the systemd people want to do a profile that's fine
16 >> >> (and this already happened); but if they don't want to, nobody can
17 >> >> force them to do it (this is academic right now, since they
18 >> >> already did the [pretty trivial] work).
19 >> >>
20 >> >> If the systemd people did not wanted to do the job, then, since you
21 >> >> can't force them, the people *not* wanting systemd would be the
22 >> >> ones required to do it. And that makes absolutely no sense.
23 >> >
24 >> >
25 >> > I think we agree, but you keep saying we don't... ;)
26 >> >
27 >> > The difference is, since OpenRC is the default, all of the existing
28 >> > profiles are, by definition, OpenRC based profiles. So, people who
29 >> > don't want systemd simply have to do... nothing!
30 >>
31 >> OK, I see your point.
32 >>
33 >> > As I said before, it is people who want systemd who currently have
34 >> > to 'do something', and that is as it should be, unless/until the
35 >> > default of OpenRC is changed to systemd.
36 >>
37 >> Agreed.
38 >>
39 >> Regards.
40 >
41 > Been following along, jumping in late.
42 >
43 > That does settle the issue with regard to Gentoo 'defaults' for now. As
44 > I see it, if you are a desktop [l]user, then go ahead and use a quick
45 > systemd default. It's good enough. And Gnome folks, from what I
46 > understood, didn't have an easy opt-out choice, really. At least not
47 > easy enough for me to grok right away.
48 >
49 > Anyway, some arguments on the other branches of this thread got me
50 > thinking. Take the binary log files. This seems to be something we all
51 > understand to some extent (as compared to init systems, say), whether
52 > a tinkerer or enterprise user. There's now something corporate sitting
53 > between me and the evil crap coming out of my daemons.
54 >
55 > Who logs the loggers?
56 >
57 > My thought was, well, say if someone else, some other, unrelated team
58 > entirely, was maintaining a codebase for handling that logging data,
59 > that's a way out of the monoculture of systemd that would give some
60 > peace of mind. If they, as also smart, talented coders began to
61 > disagree, they might have capacity to keep the project in bounds.
62 >
63 > So, for the hell of it, I just went to have a look at what the deal
64 > might be with that binary data that hangs around and dumps to disk,
65 > maybe, in one format or another.
66 >
67 > "This document explains the basic structure of the file format on disk.
68 > We are making this available primarily to allow review and provide
69 > documentation. Note that the actual implementation in the systemd
70 > codebase is the only ultimately authoritative description of the
71 > format, so if this document and the code disagree, the code is right.
72 > That said we'll of course try hard to keep this document up-to-date and
73 > accurate.
74 >
75 > Instead of implementing your own reader or writer for journal files we
76 > ask you to use the Journal's native C API to access these files. It
77 > provides you with full access to the files, and will not withhold any
78 > data. If you find a limitation, please ping us and we might add some
79 > additional interfaces for you."
80 >
81 > From:
82 >
83 > http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/journal-files/
84 >
85 > Wow, that makes me feel all warm, fuzzy and secure as shit. I think I
86 > just fell asleep for a moment. (My background would make me read this,
87 > essentially advertising copy, as a classic example of perverse use of
88 > semiotics, thus raising the reading on my B.S. meter. But I digress.)
89 >
90 > The best part is the conclusion:
91 >
92 > *If you find a limitation, please ping us and we might add some
93 > additional interfaces for you.*
94 >
95 > Please! Ping!
96 >
97 > Second best is, "we'll of course try hard to keep this document
98 > up-to-date and accurate". Of course.
99 >
100 > So. If I were paranoid, or even mildly concerned, I'd take this to mean
101 > two things:
102 >
103 > One. There is, or could be, data that the systemd logging magic box
104 > doesn't give you an interface for. Unless you know what it is, then
105 > they might let you log it. Or you can, of course, contribute code, I'm
106 > sure. Though, "Note that the actual implementation in the systemd
107 > codebase is the only ultimately authoritative description of the
108 > format".
109 >
110 > Two. If I want to have a reasonable degree of surety that the code
111 > isn't collecting data that isn't interfaced for you in the
112 > journalcontrol, I'd have to delve into the codebase for systemd. Which,
113 > I'm sure, is a piece of cake. And, of course, I, and my security team,
114 > have to review the basic code on my GNU/Linux F[L]OSS machine regularly
115 > anyway.
116 >
117 > Oh, wait... No I don't.
118 >
119 > The beauty of the development model I trust is a diverse group of folks
120 > with a *variety of interests* contributing to various areas of code, in
121 > turn reviewed by some set of that same varied group, eventually
122 > committed and merged rolled tested in the wild.
123 >
124 > Or however you may see the ideal (or fantasy) of the ecosystem as we
125 > know, or knew it.
126 >
127 > Just the comment in this other related thread, systemd deprecating a
128 > straightforward encryption setup in version N, what is next?
129 >
130 > Okay, I'll go re-wire my tin hat now. Hope someone found this amusing.
131
132 Since you beat a lot around the bush, I will try to answer to (what I
133 believe is) your main point.
134
135 Take a look at [1]. That's all the code from the journal.
136
137 The format the journal uses to store its logs its binary. There is no
138 grand conspiracy behind this; it's simply the fact that it wants the
139 logs indexed so it can search by key on O(log n) time, instead of O(n)
140 like the regular logs from all the family of syslog. It also compress
141 them while at it.
142
143 The format is binary; but the code to read it (and write it) is not,
144 and is available for everyone to see. Again, take a look at [1].
145
146 You can see the hate systemd generates around. A lot of people are
147 keeping an eye on it, looking for things to criticize. At the first
148 moment something fishy got into the journal source code (like your
149 mail seems to imply is possible), those watchers would howl like there
150 is no tomorrow. The fact that this hasn't happened is the most simple
151 proof that there is no grand conspiracy.
152
153 You don't believe on the collective eyes of the Linux community? OK,
154 then *you* take a look trying to find something fishy; everything is
155 done in the open: again, take a look at [1].
156
157 You don't have the necessary abilities to determine if there is
158 something fishy going on them? Then pay someone to do the analysis for
159 you; it's probably what Intel, AMD, IBM, Oracle, Valve, and other
160 companies that have a deep interest in seeing that Linux remain
161 independent of any single entity have been doing all the time since
162 systemd (and other core technologies) have appeared.
163
164 But I'm going to save you some bucks: there is nothing fishy.
165
166 Carry on with the wires on the tin hat.
167
168 Regards.
169
170 [1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/src/journal