From: Michael Higgins <linux@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 00:16:12
1 On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 15:37:09 -0800
2 Michael Higgins <linux@×××××××.org> wrote:
5 > Okay, I'll go re-wire my tin hat now. Hope someone found this amusing.
6
7 One other thought I'd has was, well, as long as systemd doesn't, like,
8 implement some kind of net protocol, so to make it possible to ship
9 logs from systemdjournalcontrol.
10
11 I mean, so what if then it just sits there doing its job, more or less.
12 You can even offload the job to your favourite logger, and it just sits
13 there, pretty much inoffensively in the pid 1 family.
14
15 Then I read this:
16
17 "I am curently working on getting log syncing via both a PUSH and PULL
18 model done. This will be based one existing protocols and standards as
19 much as we can (SSH or HTTP/HTTPS as transport, and JSON and more as
20 payload), and is flexible for others to hook into. For example, I think
21 it would be cool if greylog2 and similar software would just pull the
22 data out of the journal on its own, simply via HTTP/JSON. We make
23 everything available to make this smooth, i.e. we provide clients with
24 stable cursors which they can use to restart operation."
25
26 So, I don't know. That 'journalctl' seems to be really just a front-end
27 to some routines actuall coded in sytemd. So, I guess, windows all over
28 again? Really, a net protocol at that level? I'm sure there's no way to
29 exploit that.
30
31 What I do know is, that if any point I work again in IT, it will just
32 be part of "the way it is done", for the same reasons most shops don't
33 use Gentoo, for example. No one will blame you for using whatever, if
34 pretty much everyone else does so too. Plus, if there's some massive
35 codebase with a flaw causing a security breach, you're not alone.
36
37 But, seriously, flawed (carnivorous or nefarious) by design does seem to
38 be the upshot here, the more I read about the design decisions.
39
40 I don't think I've presented any compelling argument against anyone
41 else using it, per se, more than questioning the logic of it becoming
42 ubiquitous. It does seem to solve a lot of "real world" problems, in
43 one way, or another.
44
45 And I'm done looking at it, I think, and will leave it to others to
46 take my notes with the grains of salt required. For me, I don't really
47 have a need for what it offers, nor a "real world" need to worry about
48 possible implications of its design or rate of adoption.
49
50 Cheers,
51
52 > Cheers,