From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Providing a path for systemd on gentoo - 'profiles', or 'eselect module'? - WAS Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 14:32:51
1 On 2014-02-20 4:04 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 2:06 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> Thinking about this more, since apparently using a separate
4 >> profile may just be 'overkill', how about something simpler, like,
5 >> for example, using eselect...
6 >>
7 >> Something like:
8 >>
9 >> # eselect init list
10 >> Available init systems:
11 >> [1] OpenRC *
12 >> [2] systemd
13 >> [3] runit
14 >>
15 >> (whatever choices are supported).
16
17 > the switching requires reemerging things because you need to set some
18 > USE flags and quit others. That's the "difficult" (which is not,
19 > really) part; if you set the USE flags yourself or via a profile, or
20 > an eselect module, I don't think the difference matters atall.
21
22 Ok, so, since it really is so simple, wouldn't it be easier to implement
23 this as an eselect module then, as opposed to creating a bunch of
24 separate profiles?
25
26 (NOTE: to those who might argue it is so trivial that even adding an
27 eselect module is overkill, I would respond:
28
29 We have eselect modules for changing active profiles and for switching
30 active kernels, and as far as I know, all those do is manage a symlink
31 (/etc/portage/make.profile for the active profile, and /usr/src/linux).)
32
33 Then, if/when a user attempted to switch, eselect could simply spit out
34 a warning message about what precisely would be required to complete the
35 switch (and this message could be kept updated if/when these
36 requirements change), including scary warnings about breakage if they
37 fail to complete the steps necessary, then prompt them for confirmation
38 (default [n], so an explicit [y] required to execute the change)?
39
40 I'd also suggest throwing in a test for current running kernel config,
41 to make sure it fully supports booting with systemd, and maybe a new
42 emerge command that can also be maintained to make sure that *all*
43 necessary packages are rebuilt?
44
45 I know, I know, talk is cheap, but again, if systemd proponents want
46 systemd on gentoo to ever become a reasonably simple option (or even
47 eventually become the new default), I think it is necessary for these
48 tools to be built anyway as part of the vetting process, and ultimately
49 to provide as many (automated) safeguards as possible to keep new and
50 even existing gentoo users from shooting themselves in the foot when
51 installing it.
52
53 So, the reason I'm explicitly asking is I'd really like for this thread
54 to result in a formal feature request to properly shepherd the addition
55 of systemd as an optional init system for gentoo, including managing the
56 process of switching to it (and back again if desired).
57
58 Thanks to all who participated in this thread...