From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CPU upgrade and LVM questions.
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2018 10:50:13
1 On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 01:30:48AM -0600, Dale wrote:
2 >
3 > One last question for anyone who has done this recently.  When finished,
4 > I'll have a FX-8350 CPU with 8 cores at 4.0/4.2GHz, 32GBs of memory all
5 > on a Gigabyte 970 series mobo.  Would there be any point in upgrading to
6 > a whole new rig or is what I have about as fast is reasonable to build?
7 > I don't do gaming or anything.  Even the GTX 650 video card is likely
8 > overkill for what I do here.  The older 200 series card is working just
9 > fine.  On one hand, my current build is several years old.  On the
10 > other, computers seem to have reached their peak.  I'm sure there is
11 > more powerful systems out there but would I be any better off with one?
12 >
13 > Thanks to all for the help on this.
14 >
15 > Dale
16 >
20 IMO that's totally fine. I just built a new rig to use for programming
21 and some "light" gaming and it's not even that good. My specs are AMD
22 Ryzen 5 1600 (6 core, 3.2 GHz) and 16GB RAM.
23
24 This replaced a rig that was 7 years old that had a better CPU (Intel
25 3930K) and more RAM (32GB) :D.
26
27 Alec