From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CPU upgrade and LVM questions.
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2018 07:31:00
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 07/12/2018 07:10, Dale wrote:
3 >> Now this is odd.  I changed the settings and ran emerge.  I decided to
4 >> use -UDNa options to see if it would catch the changes.  It did.  Thing
5 >> is, outside a few video type packages, there were no packages to be
6 >> rebuilt.  It seems very few packages actually notice those settings.
7 >
8 > That's correct. Some software has compile-time flags to enable/disable
9 > specific CPU features. The ebuilds for that software use CPU_FLAGS_X86
10 > to enable the relevant compile-time flags.
11 >
12 > Most software doesn't contain low-level assembly code. Software that
13 > does usually deals with video, audio or graphics, where hand crafted
14 > low-level optimizations by the developers make sense.
15 >
16 > If you want to see all of the installed packages that are affected,
17 > you need to set CPU_FLAGS_X86 to an empty string:
18 >
19 >   CPU_FLAGS_X86=""
20 >
21 > and then do "emerge -puDN --with-bdeps=y @world". This is because
22 > CPU_FLAGS_X86 is not empty by default. It contains sse and sse2 by
23 > default, because these are supported by all 64-bit CPUs.
26 What I did, I commented out the whole line and ran it that way.  I also
27 tried other settings too.  It didn't list much but all of it was video
28 related stuff regardless of the setting.  I didn't see anything that
29 should affect booting or even logging into KDE itself.  I may not be
30 able to watch videos but I should have a bootable OS and a working GUI
31 as well it would seem.  Or am I missing something?  It sounds right.
35 >> My only question left, will those flags affect the kernel image itself?
36 >> I may just have to make sure my USB stick works.
37 >
38 > No. The kernel configuration is completely separate from anything in
39 > make.conf. CFLAGS or CPU_FLAGS_X86 do not affect kernel builds.
45 That sounds good.  If the above is true then I should have a bootable
46 kernel, a bootable OS and most likely a working GUI.  Things like ffmpeg
47 and mplayer may not work but that can be fixed after the new CPU is
48 installed.  I'll have the correct flags from the CPU itself at that
49 point.  Plus it will compile faster anyway.  ;-)
50
51 This is starting to sound good.  All this upgrading and the hardest part
52 is going to be the hardware itself.  Yeppie!!
53
54 Still can't believe LVM is going to be that easy.  I found a howto
55 someone sent me and read it too.  It still sounds to easy.  Something
56 has to go wrong here.  Lightening coming out the hard drive or
57 something.  ROFL  I have Grant's email on standby.  He included a list
58 of commands.  :-)
59
60 One last question for anyone who has done this recently.  When finished,
61 I'll have a FX-8350 CPU with 8 cores at 4.0/4.2GHz, 32GBs of memory all
62 on a Gigabyte 970 series mobo.  Would there be any point in upgrading to
63 a whole new rig or is what I have about as fast is reasonable to build?
64 I don't do gaming or anything.  Even the GTX 650 video card is likely
65 overkill for what I do here.  The older 200 series card is working just
66 fine.  On one hand, my current build is several years old.  On the
67 other, computers seem to have reached their peak.  I'm sure there is
68 more powerful systems out there but would I be any better off with one?
69
70 Thanks to all for the help on this.
71
72 Dale